Tuesday, February 05, 2008

New Year, New Challenges, New Stuff, New Life

First, I've added four new items to the blog. I'm a sucker for quotations, so now I feature four different varieties in the right column. Quote of the Day runs above my photo, while below my photo are Art Quote of the Day, Funny Quote of the Day, and Love Quote of the Day. Enjoy.

This new year has had its challenges. My husband's job situation remains uncertain--it has been a source of near-constant stress. Communications with a lot of people in my life are at an all-time low--perhaps there's something to astrology after all? I think Mercury is retrograde right now (i.e., going backwards), and Mercury controls communication--that much, I know. And, my parents are not doing well.

However, the new year has had its joys, too. I couldn't ask for a harder-working muse at the moment--ideas and words have simply been pouring out of me, so instead of blogging, I've been writing stories, which is a Very Good Thing, at least for me (and, ultimately, for you, if you read my work). I've also been exercising more regularly, and eating better. And, saints be praised, I found a part-time job to help our finances that is perfect for me--it pays well, I get to work at home, and it's a high-tech job, so I could not complain, even if I wanted to. :-)

It occurs to me that tomorrow, Ash Wednesday, begins a new year for Christians, sort of. Ash Wednesday offers us a chance to rededicate ourselves to walking the walk, not just talking the talk. In past years, I've given up small pleasures, in order to keep Lent uppermost in my mind--not as a time of deprivation, but as a time of joy, and of fruitful reflection, of waiting. This year, I've decided not to give something up--the reasons are too personal to go into here--but I will be rededicating myself to acting more consistently with my beliefs, and to taking more time for reflection and prayer. I've discovered that going for my walks provides me with an excellent opportunity to talk with God.

An aside to Jeff, who commented on my post regarding Relocating for Singing. Thank you so much for your story--it moved me, and also reminded me why I need to cultivate more patience than I have. Need I add that one of my favorite sayings is, "Grant me patience, Lord, but hurry"?

By the way, Sacred Harp friends, there is a chance that I will be able to attend the GA State this year. (Yes!!!) To be singing Sacred Harp on Easter Sunday, with my friends--now, that's a party I don't want to miss! But, I must have patience, as all ducks are not quite in a row, yet.

Happy Lent,

Sharona

No comments: